Sunday, September 23, 2007

Quick Trip To Calico Rock

Very early this morning, Jaca, an integral member of our crew and at the top of my wife's list of usual suspects, stopped by and said, "Let's go for a ride!" As I do most days he does this, I complied.

We headed north and west to Calico Rock and captured images of one of the old schoolhouses in Calico Rock. Though I don't know much of the history of this building as of yet, I intened to find out when it was built and when it also operated.

It's an awesome old structure...standing high an proud, though looking rather worn...and terribly neglected. Walking around the stately old hulk, I was both invigorated by the majesty of the place and saddened by it's state.

It's not the first time I've felt these same old feelings. Several times since we started EIC, I've experienced them. The first was the old hotel/boarding-house along the tracks at Mount Olive. Others...like the old schoolhouse in the old Strawberry Township...come to mind as well. I am also reminded of the many wonderful old buildings that so captivated me as a child that have either burned or just rotted and collapsed.





1 comment:

Steve's Reading List said...

The building in the picture was never a school. It was the original Cumberland Presbyterian Church (now located on Hwy 56). The masonic lodge met upstairs. When I was in high school back in the early 70's we had a youth center in the building. Go see Eddie Lester/Stan Wilson about when their band played for dances in the building. Call my dad, Reed Perryman, for a complete history. He now lives in Ozark MO (417-485-8160).
Steve Perryman